Lee's Famous Red Sangria Recipe
I went through my old blog, and sadly, the only post I think is worth saving, is my famous sangria recipe. Whatever that says about me, I am willing to accept.
WARNING: This sangria is incredibly alcoholic and will knock you on your ass after two or three glasses. Makes about 3.5L of sangria plus a bunch of alcoholic fruit that contain more alcohol than you think. You’ll need at least a 5L jug for this. Serves around 20 people 2-3 glasses each.
- 1.75L dry red wine (Yellowtail Merlot is fine)
- 1 cup Gosling’s spiced rum
- 1 cup Mr. Boston Blackberry-flavored brandy
- ½ cup Peachtree Schnapps
- ½ cup Cointreau (or Triple Sec if you’re cheap or want to reduce the alcohol content)
- 1 cup orange juice (the only time in life that no pulp is acceptable)
- 4 Tsp sugar
- 4 cans ginger ale
- 2 lemons
- 2 limes
- 2 apples
- 4 oranges
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 can diced pineapples in juice
- Pour all the alcohol, mixers, and fruit juice in a big freaking pitcher
- Pour in the sugar and stir it for awhile
- Cut all the fruit into half-slices and throw all the fruit slices (and any juice) in the pitcher
- Holy crap, don’t drink it yet. Let it sit for 48 hours, 24 hours minimum. Seriously. Stop that. Don’t drink it.
- When it’s time to serve, add the cans of ginger ale.
- Slice the remaining oranges and slot them. Serve with a lot of ice in red wine glasses with the slotted orange slices as garnish.
Why I love this recipe:
Goslings and ginger ale make it a bit spicy, which takes most people by surprise. There is a ridiculous amount of alcohol in here, even moreso if you eat the fruit. Like seriously, watch out. If you don’t believe me about the 48 hour wait, try sampling the sangria as soon as you pour it and every 12 hours. The nasty acidic taste in the cheap wine decreases over time and will completely disappear within 48 hours.
Some people have claimed that this is not true sangria, but is in fact a cocktail, owing to the unusally large amount of liquor in the recipe. To that, I say have two or three glasses, and let’s settle this with a fist fight.
originally posted on 2011-08-16